Now is the time to apply for the OSMA Scholarship to Kent State University’s School of Media and Journalism (MDJ). MDJ offers a $500 scholarship to an outstanding high school senior, from an OSMA member school, who will be attending Kent State after graduation.
The deadline for submitting this year’s application has been extended to 5 p.m. EST, Feb. 28, 2022. Applications can be delivered to the MDJ office at 201 Franklin Hall, mailed or emailed. If mailed, applications must be postmarked by the deadline. All applicants will receive an email confirming the receipt of their application and will be notified by mail or email of the award committee’s decision.
- Have applied for and been admitted to the Kent State-Kent Campus and selected a major in MDJ
- Commit to attending Kent State no later than May 1, 2022
- Have a minimum 3.25 cumulative high school grade point average
- Have served on the student media staff at an OSMA member high school during the previous school year
TO APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP, PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:
- (UPDATED SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION AVAILABLE JAN. 15)
- An official high school transcript
- A resume emphasizing your journalism and mass communication and leadership experiences in high school and/or the community
- A 500-1,000-word essay that describes why you are choosing an education in journalism and mass communication, how you have demonstrated leadership in high school and/or the community, what drives you to excel and your professional goals upon completion of the degree
- Three to five original work samples, which can come from high school student media or other academic or extracurricular activities
- One or two letters of recommendation from individuals who can speak to your potential for success in a journalism or mass communication field. To be considered, one recommendation letter must be from your high school media adviser. Letters should be directed to “Incoming Freshman Scholarships and Awards Committee” and be mailed or emailed to the the address below.
School of Journalism and Mass Communication
Kent State University
201B Franklin Hall
Kent, OH 44242
Phone: (330) 672-8297