Want to join for 2021-2022? Details and application below
EXTENDED DEADLINE UNTIL SEPT. 1
Ohio Scholastic Media Association (OSMA) student regional representatives provide student input for OSMA activities and increase student involvement. Two representatives (one junior and one senior) and, if available, one alternate (either a junior or a senior) selected from each of the five regions in the state form a student board. Responsibilities of regional representatives include the following:
- Attend twice-yearly OSMA student board meetings, one at the state convention and one at another time during the year (usually a Sunday afternoon in August at Otterbein University in Westerville). The student board meets at the same time as the adviser board but separately, with representatives reporting to the adviser board at the end of the two meetings. The student board will elect its own chairperson and, if needed, secretary.
- Plan and implement student-led sessions/events at the state convention and at their respective regional workshops in the fall.
Alternates will assist with activities at the state convention and regional workshops. If a representative is unable to attend an OSMA Board meeting, the region’s alternate will attend instead.
- This year, students will apply and be selected in the early fall of their junior year and will serve two-year terms their junior and senior years. This will maintain a balance of experienced and new students on the board.
- At least one year of involvement in high school scholastic journalism, either on a publication staff or in a class.
- Intends to attend OSMA events this year, including a regional workshop and the state convention.
- Traits useful to the position, including self-motivation, problem-solving abilities, success in juggling many projects, faithfulness in completing tasks, good communication skills, etc.
- Nomination by your school. Each school may nominate no more than two students. Advisers and/or editors of the school’s publication(s) may develop their own criteria for selection of their nominees.
- Opportunity to give input and perspectives to improve OSMA services to students and schools.
- Interaction with students and advisers from around the state.
- Leadership development.
Click here to complete the online application. Your publication adviser must also submit a letter of recommendation via e-mail to Candace Bowen firstname.lastname@example.org. Both items must be submitted by Sept. 1, 2021. Adult OSMA Board members from each region will select the regional representatives shortly by Sept. 10