IT’S TIME TO PREPARE YOUR ENTRIES. Submissions must be in our office by Friday, Jan. 26, 2018, with awards announced at the State Convention in April. Here’s what you need to do to enter:
- Download a Registration form for 2018. You must be an OSMA member to participate, though if you attended a fall regional workshop you have joined already. You can register for the April 6 & 7, 2018 state convention when you submit entries, or you can decide and register by March 1 if you can join us then.
- Download the list of categories and read them carefully. They describe just what the judges will be seeking so this will help you decide if that great article you wrote in October is a General Feature, a News Feature or a Personality Feature.
- Make sure they were published between Jan. 20, 2017 and Jan. 26, 2018.
- Choose no more than two entries for each category. Remember, these should be the work of current students, though something published, say, in April 2017 as a team project could include some students who have graduated.
- Download an individual advance contest form for each entry. (It’s the same form you’ve used before.)
- Staple or tape each printed entry to a form.
- Circle the article/ad/photo with a marker so the judge knows for sure what your choice is.
- Write the contest category name, number, student name and a headline/description of the entry on the form.
- Download the individual advance contest roster and fill out student names and entry. This is very important to help us identify what you have entered. (You’ve used this one before, too — and it’s very helpful to us in getting names correct.)
- For overall contest/critique, download and fill out the information on the NEWS data sheet and/or the WEB data sheet. Be SURE to include your school size.
- If you are a school without prior review, have your principal read and sign the Open Forum Statement so you can get your award with distinction.
- Select three copies of your publication from THIS current school year. If you haven’t published three times, include a note to OSMA explaining that.
- If you are attending the state convention, consider entering students in the Day-of Contests. Only one student per school can enter most contests, though Yearbook, Broadcast, Editors’ Team Challenge and the new Maestro Team Contest can have more. Complete details about Day-of Contests will be on the website in January, though the Day-of registration form is available now. If you’re not sure yet about attending, you can enter these later, though limited registration for contests means we accept these on a first come-first served basis.
- Put everything in a box and send to the address below. Please allow plenty of time. Entries are due in our office Friday, Jan. 26, 2018. We will start sorting and shipping to our out-of-state judges the next day after so we can’t accept late entries.
QUESTIONS? Contact email@example.com
ENTRY DEADLINE FOR YEARBOOK ONLY (in our office). Get the registration form here in 2018.
- by June 30 (for spring delivery books); evaluations returned by Sept. 15.
- by Sept. 30 (for early fall delivery books); evaluations returned by Dec. 15.
- by Nov. 30 (for late fall delivery books): evaluations returned by Feb. 15.
ALL CONTEST ENTRIES GO TO:
201B Franklin Hall
School of Journalism and Mass Communication
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242